Young Environmentalists Programme Trust -equipping Environmental leaders of tomorrow,today!
What is Young Environmentalists education?
Environmental education teaches students about how the planet's physical and biological systems work, and how we can create a more sustainable future. In India, as a country we have always been dedicated to our environment, worshipped our elements and have been dependant on the environment.
Article 48 -A of the Indian constitution has stressed on environment awareness and protection-"take measures to protect and improve the environment and to safeguard the forests and wildlife of the country” .
It also makes it a -“fundamental duty of every citizen to protect and improve the natural environment including forest, lakes, rivers and wildlife and to have ecological compassing for the living creatures” (Article 51 A (g)).
Therefore the Young Environmentalists Programme believes that Environmental education is a process aimed at creating awareness in the youth rather than preaching to the population. Environment education aims at-
- Basic details and understanding of the environment and its relationship with man and biodiversity;learning through a fun way for Junior students.
- Social and civic values which are in tandem with environmental quality.
- Skills to solve environmental problems.
- Ability to evaluate environmental measures and education programmes.
- A sense of responsibility and urgency towards the environment so as to ensure appropriate actions to solve environmental problems at high school levels.
- To enable the community to understand the interdependence of all the life on this planet and how to sustain it through our green living habits.
- To increase people’s awareness of the economic, political, social, cultural, technological and environmental forces which foster sustainable development by networking together.
How is our Environmental education taught in schools?
Environmental education uses environmental issues and topics as a theme to weave into all subjects and grades. This ensures all students will have many opportunities to acquire the knowledge, skills, perspectives and practices they need to become environmentally literate citizens. There will also be opportunities for students to address environmental issues in their homes, in their local communities, or at the global level.
--Our mission at Green School is to deliver a generation of global citizens who are knowledgeable about and inspired to take responsibility for the sustainability of the world.
Mission of Young Environmentalists Programme in Schools.
- Emphasizing hands-on learning.
- Developing social responsibility.
- Instilling integrity, honesty, ethics and compassion as core underlying values.
- Recognizing the importance of a holistic education.
- Building natural habitat and green spaces within the school.
- Inculcating Green leadership.
- Grooming Civic habits.
- Engaging student sin research,measurement and deductions.
- Making Education fun and a happy experiecne.
- Craeting solid proactive happy memories for each student.
- Involving outdoor.activity based/campus education into curriculam.
- Making part of the curricular text books active through the Environmental programmes.
- Involving Parents and Guardians into the life of the students and environmental programmes.
- Reaching out to the Community as leaders in the environmental movement.
- Celebrating Environment International Dates.
Young Environmentalists Curriculum which:
- Develops the essential skills of: reading, writing, mathematics and science.
- Has a green aspect evolving from ecology to sustainability through a ‘getting your hands dirty’ and ‘getting mud between your toes’ approach.
- Recognizes and appreciates the local geographical and cultural context.
- Is based on anacademic scope and sequence.
- To nurture respect for the natural world
- To heighten students’ environmental awareness and to promote stewardship.
- To develop deep ecological values.
- To understand and practice permaculture as the harmonious integration of land and people to provide food, shelter, energy in a sustainable way
- Formation of Young Environmentalists Nature Club-
- Plant/food/fruit/green gardens.
- Aquatic systems.
- Nature trails.
- Waste usage.
- Water usage.
- Energy conservation.
- Employing management systems.
- Animal /pet corner.
- Local community Eco Fair.
- Give ideas to design the school with with renewable resources/energy.
- Young Environmentalists Year end certificates for all.
Involvement and supervision of the School teachers in the Young Environmentalists Programmes.
Respective teachers should be involved in our programmes?
At least two teachers should be involved in the environmental activities- a teacher in-charge and a supporting teacher. The respective class or subject or PT or Art teacher knows the class well and can guide the students in the class.
For example-A large green bulletin board in the school's main corridor colourfully made by the Young Environmentalists will depict everything that will be happening in and around the garden and attests to the success.
Another example-The school garden requires commitment and passion to ensure it thrives over the long term. A core group of teachers, parents and students to spearhead the project is essential, as well as a principal who encourages staff to incorporate the garden into the curriculum. There also has to be enough support to maintain the garden during vacation periods when enthusiasm tends to wane.
The PTA can also be involved in the Young Environmentalists Programme. The Young Environmentalists students club can have a Green room assigned to them.
Provision of all activity materials involved, art, craft, plants, garden and bins etc to be made by the school concerned.